Lag vs Delay - 42Kmi42Kmi - International Competitive Gaming and Shop
In loving memory of Charles Okey Adibe: 11/30/1954 - 03/17/2017 | Love you forever, Dad!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lag vs Delay

03-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Lag vs Delay
People seem to use "lag" and "delay" to refer to the same phenomenon of the stuttering between audio/video and control input when playing online games. They are related, but aren't necessarily the same. I find it less confusing to define them differently.

"lag" is the stuttering and slowing down of the audio and video of gameplay.

"delay" is the latent difference of a command/control input to be manefested on screen.

Of course, people will just use "lag" colloquially, but meh.

cool signature

04-24-2010, 10:18 AM
RE: Lag vs Delay
(03-25-2010 01:10 PM)Torengo Wrote:  People seem to use "lag" and "delay" to refer to the same phenomenon of the stuttering between audio/video and control input when playing online games. They are related, but aren't necessarily the same. I find it less confusing to define them differently.

"lag" is the stuttering and slowing down of the audio and video of gameplay.

"delay" is the latent difference of a command/control input to be manefested on screen.

Of course, people will just use "lag" colloquially, but meh.

Agreed. They may be slightly different but they are equally annoying which brings my question, How much can we do on our end to minimize both? Or is it, the majority of the time, server-end problems?

"Pegas! Interlock! Power, On!"